Lufthansa cancellation policy offers the most flexible cancellation allowing passengers to retain the value of the booking, and travel hassle free.
In this post we will cover all the rules and regulations that you must take into consideration before you cancel the flight. Not just that, we have also covered the cancelled flight compensation, cancellation due to Covid-19, and much more.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Policy
According to the Lufthansa cancellation policy, passengers can cancel the scheduled journey until 24 hours before departure. Passengers need to pay a cancellation fee for claiming a refund.
Just like that there are other cancellation policy that you should know before consider before booking or even canceling the flight –
- The Lufthansa flight cancellation would be applicable according to the fare rules/conditions, as the restriction will apply to the refundability of the fare purchased.
- You can find out whether your reservation can be canceled or not, and under which conditions, in your booking confirmation email under the ‘Fare condition’ section.
- When a passenger cancels reservation on the same day of booking and the departure date is one week away from the reservation, then the airline will grant a full refund to the passenger, provided that the reservation must be cancelled within 24 hours of booking.
- In addition, you can change the flight within 24 hours of purchase without paying any airline fee. Only fare difference applies if the new fare is higher than the existing one. To know more, read the Lufthansa flight change policy.
- Passengers holding non-refundable tickets need to cancel the flight before the scheduled departure, and can claim airport taxes and fees as a refund.
- According to the Lufthansa cancellation policy, if the airline fails to offer flight service to passengers, then they can demand a compensation value by drafting an email to the airline. The compensation value will be transferred to the passenger account within 20 business days.
- The airline may waive off cancellation fees, if the passenger is canceling the scheduled tickets for the health issue, death of relatives, passport issues, government strikes, military orders, etc.
Lufthansa 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
On the same day of the reservation, if the passenger is canceling tickets for certain reasons and the flight departure date is one week away then no cancellation fee will be imposed on them by the airline as per Lufthansa cancel ticket 24 hours Policy.
According to the Lufthansa cancellation policy 24 hours, both Refundable and non-refundable ticket holders are eligible for a full refund. Passengers can execute the cancellation process offline easily but to save the service fees always prefer online cancellation methods. In case, if the passenger has an issue while performing the cancellation process online, they can contact the customer service team for the best possible resolution.
When a passenger is executing the cancellation process after the risk-free period, they are required to pay an amount as a cancellation fee for securing a refund amount. The cancellation fees are calculated by overviewing the routes, services used by the passengers.
Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy offers a golden chance to those passengers who are not sure about the trip and don’t wish to lose hard-earned money.
Lufthansa Free Cancellation
As per the Lufthansa 24 hour free cancellation policy, under the following circumstances passengers can cancel the flight for free without paying any airline’s penalty –
- Involuntary cancellation for the reasons that are under the airline’s control.
- You cancel the booking within 24 hours of purchase.
- In the event of the death of an immediate family member.
- Lufthansa flight cancellation covered under the travel insurance.
- Flight cancellation due to the Covid-19 restrictions.
How to cancel a Lufthansa Flight Ticket?
Passengers can cancel the flight online through the airline’s website or through the airline’s customer service phone number.
Lufthansa Online Cancellation
You have the option to cancel the flight through the Lufthansa manage booking section located on the airline’s homepage. Flights that were purchased through the airline’s website or through the airline’s call center are eligible for the online cancellation. The steps include –
- Visit Lufthansa.com, and navigate to the manage booking section.
- Enter the six digit reference code and the passenger’s last name to retrieve the booking.
- Select the flight segment or the itinerary that you like to cancel.
- As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy, any cancel request is subject to the airline’s penalty, and the fee varies with the fare type, and the travel route.
- You can see the refund amount displayed on the screen. Once you agree with the amount, you can confirm your selection.
- The airline will process the refund in 7-10 business days in the original method of payment.
While canceling the flight online, the cancellation would be applied to all the passengers in the booking.
Lufthansa Cancellation Via Phone Number
In case you need to cancel the flight of selected passengers in the booking or seeking assistance in order to cancel your Lufthansa flight booking, call the airline’s reservation number at +1-877-311-7484.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Fee
The passenger needs to pay the Lufthansa cancellation fee after the completion of the risk-free period. To gaining a refund, the passenger needs to pay 150 USD as the cancellation fee and for the regular fares, the airline charges 200 USD as a cancellation fee.
As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy, the cancellation fee would be applicable outside 24 hours of purchase, such as
|Economy Light||Economy Classic||Economy Flex||Business Class||First Class|
|Cancellation within 24 hours||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
|Cancellation fee (in USD)||Not applicable||Not applicable||200 for flights within Europe. 300 for international flight||200 for flights within Europe. 300 for international flight||200 for flights within Europe. 300 for international flight|
|Cancellation after the scheduled departure (in USD)||Not permitted||Not permitted||200||200||200|
Non-refundable ticket holders are required to pay the full amount (ticket fare) as Lufthansa cancellation fee, no refund will be offered to them. When the passenger cancels tickets within the booking date, No cancellation fee will be charged by the airline.
After 24 hours of booking, the passenger is required to pay the cancellation fee according to the routes and service, for obtaining a refund. To save some cancellation fee for Lufthansa flights, always purchase a refundable ticket.
Lufthansa Cancellation fee for Non-Refundable Ticket
The Lufthansa ticket cancellation fee for Non-Refundable Tickets depends on the time of cancellation.
Within 24 hours of booking: When the passenger holding a non-refundable ticket cancels the scheduled journey within the 24 hours booking, no cancellation fee will be charged by the airline.
After the risk-free window: When the passenger cancels a non-refundable ticket after the risk-free window, they will only get the government tax amount as a refund. All other amounts will be deducted as the Lufthansa cancellation fee. So always book refundable tickets for extra savings.
Lufthansa Covid Cancellation Policy
As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy, due to the ongoing disruption caused by the Covid-19, the airline continues to accommodate passengers to make their reservation more flexible and hassle-free.
On short, medium, and long haul routes, most of the fares are rebookable. This is true for both existing and new reservations. Here are the possible exceptions –
Passengers have to travel in the next few days – It is advised to check the status of the flight and the current travel and the entry barriers of your final or transit destinations. Your ticket remains valid and can be used at a later date if your flight is canceled. It is free to rebook to the same destination in the same travel class.
Passengers like to postpone the travel – The airlines will immediately rebook you to an alternate flight to the same destination and in the same travel class once, free of charge. In addition –
- In some situations, the airline may be unable to book you on an alternate flight instantly. In such circumstances, you have the option to choose an alternative based on specified criteria.
- If a booked alternative does not meet your schedule, the rebooking must be done within the ticket’s validity period, as per the Lufthansa covid cancellation policy.
- Please visit the My Booking section to rebook the flight or call Lufthansa ticket cancellation phone number at +1-877-311-7484.
Passengers like to cancel the flight and apply for a refund – Your flight itinerary contains one of the cancelled flight segments, such as –
- If you hold a ticket for a flight cancelled by the airline and have not yet submitted it for refund, you can submit it or to your travel agency.
- Passengers who have already submitted the refund request please do not re-submit again.
- The flight booking must be completely unused, and the ticket price includes the taxes and fees refunded to the original method of payment.
Passengers like to make a new booking – For new bookings that are made after March 2020 are changeable without any change fee. Also, passengers can request the changes to the departure and destination airports. An additional charge may be applied if the rebooked fare is more expensive due to a change of route or a necessary change of travel or booking class.
Lufthansa Refund Policy
As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy, the refund is applicable on the unflown flight segment only provided that the airline must be the validating carrier. In addition –
- You can cancel your booking and seek a refund under “Flight information” in “My bookings” if you want a refund on your ticket.
- The airline will process the refund in the same payment method used at the time of booking. Partially used flight segments will be refunded to the passengers on the pro-rated basis.
- The Lufthansa flight refund can be claimed by the person who paid for the tiket or the person who was named in the ticket.
- According to Lufthansa refund policy, you can claim a full refund without paying any cancellation penalty if you cancel the flight within 24 hours of purchase.
- If you cancel a refundable fare, the refund amount would be equal to the fare paid less any cancellation fee applied as per the fare basis.
- If you cancel a non-refundable fare, the refund amount would be equivalent to the unused airport taxes and fees.
- The passengers will get the refund on the baggage fee if the reservation is qualified for a cancellation. To know about the luggage rules and allowance, read Lufthansa baggage policy.
- The refund amount of the fare, taxes, and fees will be computed and repaid to the original mode of payment, depending on the fare conditions and any segments of the ticket used.
Lufthansa Seat Refund Policy
As per the Lufthansa cancellation policy, within 30 days of the completion of the last flight on your schedule, you can request a refund for seats you paid for if –
- The airline changed the seating plan to an alternate seat and you refuse to accept the alternate seat.
- When the flight got cancelled.
- You are unqualified to sit in an exit row, and you notify the airlines at least 48 hours before your flight’s scheduled departure.
- You have paid for a flight upgrade and do not want to pay the difference in order to choose your seat in the alternate cabin class.
Please note: If your flight is cancelled and rebooked by the airlines within 48 hours of departure, you won’t need to apply for a refund for your seat because it will be handled automatically. After your flight is cancelled, dial Lufthansa cancelled flight contact number at +1-877-311-7484 if you do not receive a refund.
You cannot claim a refund on your seats under the following circumstances –
- Passengers request a flight cancellation
- In the event where the airline offers you an upgrade on your booking.
- You are deemed unfit to sit in the seat type you have chosen, for example, an exit row seat.
- You will be able to select an equivalent seat on your new flight if you wish to modify your flight. The airline will not be able to refund you the difference if you switch to a seat which is lower in price.
- If you accept a future credit voucher and the seating is already paid.
- You opt to change your flight from a Lufthansa airlines operated flight to another airline.
Lufthansa Cancelled Flight Compensation
As per the Lufthansa cancellation compensation policy, if the airlines fails to operate the flight as per the planned schedule, or if there is a flight delay for 2 or more hours, you have been denied boarding on the confirmed reservation or you have a flight disruption which is under the airline’s control, you are entitled to get the following compensation –
For Delayed Flight: A delay is deemed to have occurred when you board the flight by the delay of at least 2 hours. Depending on the travel distance and the length of delay, you’re bound to get the Lufthansa cancellation compensation of –
- 600 USD as compensation if the delay is at least 4 hours or more and the flight distance is over 3500 km.
- 350 USD as compensation if the delay is at least 3 hours or more and the flight distance is between 1500 km and 3500 km.
- 200 USD as compensation if the delay is at least 2 hours or more and the flight distance is within 1500 km.
For Denied Boarding: In the event where you are involuntary denied boarding when you have a confirmed flight reservation, and you have informed of the same within 2 weeks from the date of departure, you are entitled to the refund on the unused portion of the ticket and the compensation as given below –
- 250 USD as compensation when the flight distance is within 1500 km
- 400 USD as compensation when the flight distance is between 1500 km and 3500 km.
- 600 USD as compensation when the flight distance is more than 3500 km.
FAQs Related to Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Policy
Submit your review
I booked my flight a while back with Lufthansa but due to an emergency, I had to cancel my tickets. Guys, I cannot even tell you how much I am in awe for the most amazingly crafted set of policy. I booked my tickets online but due to weak network connection, I was not able to cancel it in the same way. I gave a call at the global contact centre of the airline. Got connected with an agent who helped me out throughout the process. I got 100 per cent refund as I cancelled my tickets within 24 hours. Love the airline, loved it’s laid back cancellation policy. Lufthansa flight cancellation policy will probably cover you up no matter what.
Who wishes to pay cancellation fees? I too don’t want to pay any charges so, I go through the Lufthansa refund policy to learn how to save money on cancellation charges.
Due to covid, I was looking to cancel my trip with Lufthansa. To complete the cancellation, I was thinking of reading the Lufthansa covid cancellation policy. But there is no special policy designed by the airline. The airline simply made a small adjustment to its cancellation policy. As per the policy, I get a free chance to change the travel date.
Earlier I was curious about the clauses mentioned in the Lufthansa cancellation policy. But when I communicated with the officials, I came to understand the policy quite effortlessly.