You booked a ticket on Malaysia Airlines and due to illness wish to cancel the ongoing trip? The first thing that should strike your mind now is the cancellation procedure and ways to save money. The official site does not shed light on the cancellation policy in detail. This is why we bring to you this guide that explains Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy clearly in an easy-to-understand language.
Owing to its first-class services, Malaysia Airlines is considered one of the best airlines in the world. Its cancellation policies help passengers save on refund value. Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy offers a 24-hour window in which the passenger can cancel the booking without incurring any cancellation fee and also reschedule the ticket for free of cost.
The Guide To Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy
Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy offers flexibility to each passenger. It allows you to cancel the ticket without any problem and save money. Main highlights of the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy:
1- Full refund if the ticket is canceled for involuntary reasons.
2- Passengers are required to pay the cancellation fee if the ticket is canceled for voluntary reasons.
3- According to the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy, the passenger is not required to pay a cancellation fee if the ticket is canceled within 24 hours of booking.
4- After 24 hours, Malaysia Airlines will charge a cancellation fee according to the duration of flight and type of tickets.
5- Malaysia Airlines will offer a full refund if passengers cancel the ticket for the following reasons:
- Natural Calamities: Earthquake, landslides, hurricanes, flood, cloud striking, Heavy Rain, and many more.
- Corporate factors: Strike, crew member unavailability, Pilot issue.
6- After the allotted time, the airline will not refund any amount to passengers holding non-refundable tickets.
7- As per the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy, the airline will charge the administration fee if the ticket is canceled at the airport or at the other offline platforms.
8- The airline will waive off the cancellation fee if the ticket is canceled by the passenger due to bereavement, illness, expiration of legal paper.
Benefits of Malaysia Airline Ticket Cancellation policy:
- Full refund for involuntary cancellation.
- Refund if the ticket cancellation date is the same as the flight reservation date.
- Malaysia Airlines Ticket Cancellation policy allows passengers to secure a refund by paying some amount as a cancellation fee.
- When tickets are canceled due to illness and safety of passengers then no cancellation fee is charged by the airline.
- According to the Malaysia Airline Ticket Cancellation policy, the airline offers a full day for modification of scheduled tickets without imposing charges.
What is the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Refund Policy?
When the flight is canceled, the airline offers a refund as per the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Refund Policy.
Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Refund Policy
No refund to the passenger with a basic fare ticket, non-refundable ticket or business promotional ticket.
- Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Refund Policy offers a chance to each passenger to claim a refund.
- Full refund is given to passengers if the ticket is canceled within the same day of booking and the cancellation date is seven or more days prior to the departure date. Even if the passenger holds a basic fare ticket, non-refundable ticket or business promotional ticket.
- As per the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Refund Policy, the refund amount is calculated by calculating the fare class preferred by the passenger, the duration(days) between the cancellation time and the departure period, the time of cancellation, mode of cancellation.
- According to the refund policy, the airline will take 20 business days to process the refund. However, if the payment mode is credit card then refund will be initiated within seven business days.
- Malaysia airlines will not offer a refund when a non-refundable ticket is canceled within three days before the departure of the flight.
- If cancellation is done on official offline portals, then the refund is calculated by deducting both administration fee and cancellation fee.
- As per the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Refund Policy, no cancellation fee is charged to passengers who cancel tickets for the following reasons:
- Health Issues
- Government or Military orders
- Judiciary law
Malaysia Airlines 24 Hour Cancellation policy
- Under the Malaysia Airlines 24 Hour Cancellation Policy, the airline will offer a full refund if the cancellation date is the same as the booking date.
- When you cancel the ticket within the first 24 hours of booking but the departure date is the same as the booking date then you will not gain a full refund from the airline.
- The airline will deduct cancellation from your ticket fare if the cancellation is done outside the risk-free period.
- A full refund is allotted to all the passengers if they all hold non-refundable or basic fare tickets.
Condition: The flight must depart seven or more days from the cancellation date. After the stipulated time frame, the airline will charge Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee.
What Malaysia Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation?
When the flight is delayed or canceled by the airline for unforeseen circumstances, then some bonus is offered to each passenger under the Malaysia Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation rules:
1- Under the article 7EC number 261/2004, it is mentioned that the airline will offer compensation if the flight is delayed for more than three hours. The compensation may be monetary or non-monetary benefits.
2- Flight got delayed for more than 5 hours, full refund with a travel voucher and one time free rescheduling is offered as the Malaysia Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation.
3- The following benefit is offered to each passenger when the flight canceled by Malaysia Airlines for corporate factors:
- Free premium drinks.
- Free Meals.
- Free accommodation.
- Travel voucher (value equals to ticket fare).
- Full refund within 20 to 30 business days.
- Transport facility from the Airport to the hotel.
4- 530 EURO is offered as Malaysia Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation to the passenger account if the long route flight(covering distance more than 3,500 kilometers or flying for more than six hours) gets canceled by the airline.
The Malaysia Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation policy grants numerous benefits to each passenger. Compensation is mandatory if the airline is canceling or delaying the flight for corporate reasons. If the flight is canceled by the airline for natural calamities, then the compensation directly depends on the policies of Malaysia Airlines.
What are the factors involved in deciding the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee?
The factors that decide the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee are:
- Duration of the flight.
- Fare type of passengers.
- Class of service.
- Gap (days) between the cancellation date and departure date.
What is the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee according to the fare type?
Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee for Refundable ticket:
1- After the risk-free window, the airline will charge 150 USD to 350 USD as Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee.
2- Passenger will get a full refund, when they cancel the ticket for the following reasons:
- Theft of the legal travel papers (Passport or Visa).
- Health Issue of immediate family members or the passenger.
- Military or Government orders.
- Strike or Natural disasters.
3- When the passenger cancels the scheduled ticket within 24 hours of booking then no Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee is charged against them.
4- No refund is offered to those tickets that are purchased from the unauthorized platforms–even if the ticket is a refundable ticket.
5- When ticket cancellation is executed at the airport counter then the airline will charge both administration fee and Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee.
6- The total ticket fare is treated as a cancellation fee, if the ticket falls under the promotional tickets or award tickets categories.
Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee for Non-refundable ticket:
- No Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee is charged if the ticket is canceled within the 24 hour window.
- If a ticket is canceled 72 hours prior to departure only the government tax part is refunded to the passenger.
- Full refund if the cancellation reasons come under the involuntary cancellation rules, even if the ticket is a non-refundable ticket.
- The Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Fee is charged to all the passengers if they cancel the tickets on the flight departure date.
FAQs related to the Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy
1- By calling in the Malaysia Airlines reservations number.
2- At the airport counter.
3- By visiting the official ticketing office.
4- Through KIOSK tower.
Dial toll-free tel +1-877-311-7484 and choose the preferred language. You will connect to the travel agent.
To cancel the ticket at the airport counter you need to follow below instructions:
1- Visit the counter and offer your reservation code with the passenger’s full name.
2- Present health certificate and follow the instruction provided by the airline member.
3- If the health certificate is accepted by the airline then you will get a full refund. But, if they reject the certificate then you need to pay Malaysia Airlines cancellation fee according to the cancellation policy.
The key benefits of Malaysia Airlines 24 Hour Cancellation policy are :
1- Full refund.
2- and no schedule fee.
Dial +1-877-311-7484, and connect to the Malaysia Airlines reservation team.
Choose the language as per the availability.
Offer the reservation code and last name.
Select the ticket and choose the cancellation reasons.
The agent will perform the cancellation on behalf of you.
After cancellation, the airline will send you mail on your registered credentials.
The refund will be processed within 20 business days.
Step 1- Open the web browser and search for the Malaysia Airlines official website.
Step 2- For login use your user name or user ID and password.
Step 3- Visit the Manage my trip section and write down the reservation code and passenger last name.
Step 4- Select the tickets and choose cancellation reasons.
Step 5- Fill the required field related to passenger details and click on the submit tab.
Step 6- After submitting the refund form, note down the refund request number.
Step 7- Within a few minutes, the airline will send a confirmation mail on the passenger’s registered phone number and email.
To gain a refund for your non-refundable ticket, you need to meet the following conditions:
1- For the full refund passenger needs to cancel within 24 hours of purchase.
2- For the partial refund passengers need to pay a cancellation fee according to the route and fare type. Only the government tax portion is offered as a refund.
The aforementioned guide will help you cancel your Malaysia Airlines ticket. For more information, contact our experts today.
Submit your review
When you want to submit your Malaysia Airlines refund request, it is good to go through the Malaysia Airlines refund policy to make a wise decision. This policy is very easy to understand.
Due to climatic issues, my flight was delayed so I called on the Malaysia Airlines contact number to request the Malaysia Airlines delay compensation. They immediately addressed my query and provided me with adequate solutions. Honestly speaking, the whole process was quite easy and I wasn’t expecting this.
I’ve had no problem going through the Malaysian Airlines refund policy. Simple and easy to understand, I got the refund on time as explained there without stressing over anything. What else would ask for!
If you are looking for the Malaysian Airlines refund, then I’d advise you to go through the Malaysia Airlines refund policy once like I did to get more on time without any fuss whatsoever, huh.
Flight from Colombo Sri Langka to KUL (open ticket)
date ; 04/Oct/2020
Flight Booking Ref: JLVN3Q
Flight Number : MH178
BOOKING REFERENCE - JOR3AN
Flight from Jakarta to KualaLumpur(Malaysia Airlines (MH 720)
to Mumbai(Malaysia Airlines (MH 194)
Cancelle by Airline ,Kindly update me refund procedure.
I booked a Malaysia Airlines flight from Denpasar to Singapore in business class on March 25, 2020. Due to the Coronavirus situation, my family and I could not undertake the trip. Then I managed to contact the airlines' phone number to cancel the tickets. After a lot of efforts, they agreed to cancel my flight and availed me with a voucher valid until November 2020. However, I was not happy with this solution as I was not sure of traveling for some time due to the medical situation. I wanted a refund from them. So, I was suggested by a friend to connect with reservationsnumber.org. I asked them if there is any refund option available on my tickets. They helped me find a satisfying solution. They explained to me the Malaysia airlines cancellation policy. Sadly, based on the policy, my ticket was not applicable for a refund. Anyway, I am satisfied with reservationsnumber.org services. Thank you for explaining the policy clearly. I’ll be careful in the future.
I used to travel with Malaysia Airlines and never got into the situation to actually cancel it. I must say that during my flights, I enjoyed their services a lot. However, this time during the cancellation process, I got stuck and was unable to complete the process. So, I contacted reservationsnumber.org and to my surprise, they resolved my issue perfectly. I wanted a refund for my tickets and they understood my situation very well. Not only that, they explained the policies in the simplest way that any layman person could understand. After reviewing my ticket details, they raised a token to cancel my flight and in a month I got a full refund for my tickets. So, I would surely like to take a moment and appreciate reservationsnumber.org for their efforts. Without your guidance and help, I won’t have been able to get my refund money back.
I booked to travel from Adelaide, Australia to Banaglore, India. on the 13th of the march the day Indian Govt closed the borders and suspended all the travel visa's.
Due to the fact of border closure and VISA suspensions, we could not undertake the travel and I managed to contact the airlines' hotline and they cancelled the tickets and sent travel electronic vouchers valid until 20 of Dec 2020 to book and travel before 30 of June 2021.
Given the current situation in Australia Govt closed the border and enforced travel restriction going out of the country. Malaysia has imposed 14 days quarantine and India is continuing the VISA and international travel ban.
Malaysia Airlines hasn't got any schedules apart from the govt repatriations. Given the current situations and personal circumstances, it is good for me to have the money.
Is there any options for me to get the refunds for the electronic vouchers issued by the airlines.
Help is appreciated
I would like to request a refund in relation to the cancellation penalty for the 2 bookings below. As all country borders are closed - AUD -657.00 each be refunded.
Booking reservation number: WERL37
Outbound flight: 16 July 2020
• Ms Aletha Oconnorsmith
• Ms Tina Ann Hollis
• Mrs Kathleen Vicky Wulf
Fare AUD 4,674.00
Penalty AUD -1,971.00
Refunded AUD 3,231.00
Booking reservation number: WETHYW
• Mr Craig Douglas Cramer
Fare AUD 1,236.00
Penalty AUD -657.00
Refunded AUD 755.41
I look forward to hearing from you.
Level 16, 8 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
M +61 416 256 ***
We bought our tickets with a travel agency on January to fly mid August. We received a mail a couple of months ago from Malaysia Airlines stating that our flight was cancelled. Apparently we have the option to receive some voucher but the reality and unfortunately we wouldn't use it in the time frame the airline establishes. Is it possible to request for a refund??