In the age of non-stop travel, knowing the ins and out of hassle-free cancellation has never felt more important. With Southwest cancellation policy, passengers would be having at their disposal more flexibility due to the ever-changing web of travel restrictions and personal risk factors. Let’s understand what it takes to cancel the Southwest Airlines reservation, and the other important considerations any passenger need to know –
- A non refundable Southwest ticket cancellation fee would be charged for all the tickets booked on the airline’s website.
- Southwest cancellation fees may vary depending upon the booking class, the fare selected and the time at which the cancellation request has been made, and other factors governed by the Southwest Airlines ticket cancellation policy.
- In addition to the Southwest cancel flight charges, the airline may charge its passengers a processing fee in the form of taxes and surcharges.
- Passengers can cancel Southwest flight online via the Manage Booking section.
- cancellation request will be accepted based on the respective Southwest flight cancellation policy.
- As per Southwest cancellation policy, In the event where an infant booking needs to be cancelled online, the entire Southwest Airline booking containing all the passengers, including adults, children and senior citizens, needs to be cancelled simultaneously. In the event where passengers need to be cancelled solely, a passenger needs to contact Southwest cancel flight phone number at +1-877-311-7484.
- Southwest cancellations request made via Southwest customer service number needs to be cancelled five hours prior to the scheduled departure for domestic flight and up to 8 hours prior to the scheduled departure for all the flights outside the United States.
- As per Southwest Airlines cancellation policy, passengers are allowed to cancel their flights and apply for a full refund in case the passenger cannot travel due to sickness or an accident of a close family member. Southwest ticket cancellation fee may apply.
- Southwest Airlines cancellations would be applied to the original flight fare and any additional travel essentials such as baggage, seat selection, etc
- Southwest Airlines cancellation policy covers pregnancy-related cancellation after the 36th week of pregnancy. An airline’s cancellation fee may apply.
- As per Southwest cancellation policy, if one of the children falls ill and the remaining passengers in the booking want to cancel a flight, it is possible to get a full refund against the child’s medical certificate including the possible Southwest Airlines cancel flight fee.
- As per Southwest Airlines cancellation policy, if one of the adults falls ill and the remaining passenger in the booking needs to travel, it is possible to get a full refund for the adult who fails to board the flight against a valid doctor’s certificate including the possible Southwest Airlines cancel flight fee.
Southwest 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
As per Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy, passengers are allowed to cancel their reservation within 24 hours of making a booking and claim a full refund provided the scheduled departure date must be 7 or more days at the time of canceling a flight; no Southwest cancellation fee would be assessed within 24 hours of purchase. Here are the terms and conditions you need to know about the Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy –
- Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy would be applicable on the booking made on the southwest.com or on the Southwest mobile app.
- Southwest airlines cancel flight within 24 hours would not be applicable on the complimentary tickets
- Southwest airlines booking must be made at least 7 days in advance
- Southwest 24 hour cancellation can also be done via Southwest reservation phone number at +1-877-311-7484
- Flight bookings qualified for this service will be non refundable and non transferable.
- Southwest 24 hour cancellation would not be applicable for the Wanna Get Away fares.
- If Southwest 24-hour cancellation request was made after the booking, the relevant Southwest cancellation fees may apply.
Southwest Cancellation Fee
Southwest cancellation fee may vary depending upon the booking class, the fare selected and the time at which the cancellation request has been made, and other factors governed by the Southwest cancellation policy.
A non refundable Southwest ticket cancellation fee would be charged for all the tickets booked on the airline’s website. Here’s the overview of the Southwest cancellation fee as per the fares types, and the class of service selected –
|Southwest Fares||Southwest Wanna Get Away||Southwest Anytime||Southwest Business Select|
|Southwest cancellation Fees||200 USD per passenger per flight segment||150 USD per passenger per flight segment||125 USD per passenger per flight segment|
|Southwest No-show cancellation Fees||Not allowed||150 USD + 75 USD per passenger per flight segment||125 USD + 75 USD per passenger per flight segment|
How to Cancel Southwest Flight?
Passengers can cancel Southwest flights online, through customer service number as well as at the airport ticket counter. Let’s understand how you can cancel your flights with the following three methods –
Cancel Southwest Flight Online
Here are the step-by-step that help passengers cancel their Southwest reservation online –
- Go to southwest.com or open the Southwest mobile app and select the ‘Lookup reservation’ tab in the menu.
- Enter the confirmation number and the passenger name in the given field to retrieve the Southwest flight booking.
- Passengers will see the refundable balance attached to the flight confirmation number they have entered. If passengers have a refundable balance, they can choose to receive a Southwest ticket cancellation refund to the original form of payment or convert the travel balance into future travel funds.
- Click ‘Cancel flight’ to cancel the flight for all the passengers in the booking.
- Southwest cancellation fee may vary depending upon the booking class, the fare selected and the time at which the cancellation request has been made, and other factors governed by the Southwest cancellation policy.
- The Southwest Airlines refund to the credit cards may take two billing cycles to appear on the passenger’s card statement.
Cancel Southwest Flight Over the Phone
Passengers can cancel their Southwest flight via Southwest customer service phone number +1-877-311-7484 if they hold a restrictive fare. To cancel Southwest flight over the phone –
- Wait for the Southwest Airlines agent to get connected. Provide your six-digit confirmation number and ask the agent to cancel your reservation.
- The agent will check if there is any refundable balance attached to your flight booking or not. The agent will notify the passenger how much amount would be eligible for the refund.
- As per Southwest flight cancellation policy, passengers can obtain a refund on the unused portion of the ticket only.
- If passengers have a refundable balance, they can choose to receive a Southwest ticket cancellation refund to the original form of payment or convert the travel balance into future travel funds.
- The passenger would be asked to pay a non refundable Southwest cancellation fee to cancel their booking.
- Once the Southwest flight cancellation request is processed, the refund would be credited back to the original form of payment in 7-10 business days.
Cancel Southwest Flight at the Airport
Passengers can also initiate cancellation at their respective departure airport. All you need to do is –
- Visit the Southwest Airlines cancel flight ticket counter. Please note passengers can cancel their Southwest flight at the airport up to 120 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
- Provide your Southwest flight confirmation to the airline representative, and ask them to cancel your booking.
- Check to see the refundable balance attached to the unused portion of your flight reservation.
- As per Southwest cancellation policy, passengers can obtain a refund on the unused portion of the ticket only.
- Passengers at the airport can obtain a Southwest refund in the form of travel credit which remains valid up to one year from the original date of booking or in the form of cash which will be credited back to the original form of payment.
Southwest Airlines Cancel Flight Reservation
In case of flight disruption, Southwest makes all the efforts to take to the passenger’s destination smoothly and is the top priority. However, at times the Southwest flight is disrupted, and in such situations, the airline will do its best to minimize the effects and resume the flight service as soon as possible. Below is all the information you need on what to do in case of flight disruption –
In case of a delayed flight – if your Southwest flight is delayed, the airlines will inform you about the reasons behind the said delays and the new departure time via SMS/text/email/call. It is recommended to the passenger to update the flight information via the Manage Booking section.
In case of a longer delay, the airline will offer a refreshment/meal voucher, and also try to arrange an alternate flight on an urgent basis.
Missed a connecting flight – Did you miss your connecting flights? If all your flight segments including the flight connection were on the same booking, the minimum connecting time would be estimated so passengers have enough time to switch from one flight to another in order to reach the final destination without any hassles. If the passenger missed their connecting flights, as per Southwest Airlines flight cancellation policy –
- The airline will rebook passengers to the final destination. Rebooking Southwest flights may take some time as the availability of alternate flights may be limited.
- Passengers would be asked to rebook their flight up to 3 days from the original departure schedule in the same class as originally booked.
Southwest cancelled my flight – Sometimes Southwest airlines have to, unfortunately, cancel their flights. If the passenger flight is cancelled, the airline will contact the affected passengers to inform them about the said Southwest cancellations provided that the airlines have the correct information of yours. In case of Southwest airlines cancel flight event –
- Passengers are allowed to change the travel date
- Passengers would be re-routed to their final destination or a stopover as soon as possible, subject to availability. After the flight is re-booked, passengers can see the updated flight itinerary via Manage Booking or the Southwest mobile app.
- If the new flight option is not suitable for the passengers, passengers can apply for the Southwest flight cancellation refund on the unused part of the journey.
In case of overbooked flights – At times, Southwest airlines accept more passengers than the aircraft’s capacity. It is because of the likelihood that all customers with a valid Southwest reservation don’t arrive on the flight. This is what happens if the airline is full –
- The Southwest airlines will look for volunteers to transfer them to another flight
- If there are not enough volunteers, Southwest airlines will find an alternative flight on the earliest basis, subject to the same class of service as originally booked.
- If the passengers do not like the alternate flight option, they are entitled to Southwest free cancellation on the unused portion of the ticket, hence claiming a refund.
Southwest Airlines Cancelled Flight Compensation
As per Southwest cancellation policy, if due to the situation within Southwest’s control where the flight was delayed for three hours or more, passengers have the right to obtain Southwest Airlines cancelled flight compensation unless –
- Passengers do not hold a confirmed reservation and traveling on a fare that isn’t available
- If the passenger is informed of a Southwest flight cancellation or delay at least 15 days before the scheduled flight departure.
- If Southwest airlines cancel flight event due to a situation outside the airline’s control
- If passengers have already been paid Southwest ticket cancellation compensation
- If passenger failed to submit the Southwest cancel flight claim within one year of flight delay or cancellation
Southwest Airlines cancelled flight compensation is calculated based on the arrival time at the final destination and is –
- 200 USD for the flight delay between 3 and 6 hours
- 350 USD for the flight delay between 6 and 9 hours
- 500 USD for the flight delays between 9 hours and more.
In case of denied boarding – in case of a situation where the passenger is denied boarding, hence will be eligible for the following amount of Southwest Airlines cancelled flight compensation –
- An amount equal to 200% of the booked fare of the unused portion of the ticket, subject to a maximum of 150 USD if the passenger is rebooked on an alternate flight with Southwest or any other carrier which is scheduled to fly within 24 hours of booked scheduled departure.
- An amount equal to 400% of the booked fare of the unused portion of the ticket, subject to a maximum of 250 USD if the passenger is rebooked on an alternate flight with Southwest or any other carrier which is scheduled to fly outside 24 hours of booked scheduled departure.
Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
Here are the important considerations from the Southwest airlines refund policy –
- Any cancellation made directly with the Southwest airline needs to be cancelled on the Southwest website to initiate the refund process. Passengers can also initiate the Southwest refund by contacting our airline’s executive at +1-877-311-7484
- All refunds would be initiated as per the Southwest cancellation policy. In the event where the passenger is entitled to get a Southwest Airlines refund, it will be processed within 7 business days of the cancellation request.
- As per the Southwest refund policy, the refund would be initiated to the passenger named on the ticket or the person who booked the flight.
- As per Southwest Airlines cancellation policy for non refundable tickets fares, funds from Wanna Get Away fare, Anytime, and Business Select fares can be utilized for future travel up to one year from the original date of booking, and the travel must be completed by the expiration date.
- The Anytime and Business Select fare are refundable as long as passengers cancel their booking up to one hour prior to the scheduled departure, and have the option to receive a refund in the original method of payment in 7-10 business days.
- If passengers cancel Southwest booking within 24 hours through southwest.com, via mobile app, or via Southwest customer service number, passengers will receive a full refund of any fare back to the original method of payment or choose to convert them into the future travel credit which remains valid up to one year from the original date of booking.
- The cancelled Southwest flight refund would be applicable to the unused portion of the ticket.
- Southwest Wanna Get Away refund would be applicable in the form of travel credit and remains valid up to one year from the original date of booking, and can be used by the passenger named on the ticket to purchase a new flight. Southwest cancellation fees may apply.
Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Submit your review