The Southwest cancellation policy is one of the features of the airline that introduces flexibility as well as convenience. It comes with a number of terms and benefits using which a traveler can easily revoke his or her ticket. Even when the cancellation has been made via the airline itself, assistance is assured to the passengers. From proper cancellation methods to compensation and refund, the policy accounts for everything essential that you should be familiar with.
Rules for Southwest Airlines Flight Cancellation
This airline has both refundable and non-refundable tickets. Depending on the nature of these, when cancellations are done, differing rules are applicable. The flexibility for reversal and the fee charged also depend on the same. Therefore, it is vital for you to know the rules for Southwest flight cancellations when you plan to initiate the process.
- A non-refundable fare cancellation charge would be charged for all the reservations booked on the airline’s website.
- The fees can differ depending on your booking class, the fare chosen, as well as the time at which the request has been made. Likewise, there can be other factors governed by the Southwest Airlines ticket cancellation policy.
- This airline may charge its passengers a processing cost which can be in the form of taxes/surcharges.
- Fliers can revoke their flights online or offline as per the way suitable to them.
- Cancellation requests will be accepted based on the respective policy.
- As per the cancellation policy, in some events, an infant’s booking may have to be reverse online. The entire Southwest Airlines booking containing all the passengers, including adults, kids, and aged citizens, needs to be revoked simultaneously. In case the passengers’ reservations need to be reversed solely, you need to contact the airline on its phone number at +1-877-311-7484.
- A Southwest ticket cancellation request made via the airline’s customer service number has to be reversed five/5 hours prior to the departure. This is the time period set for a domestic flight. It is extended up to 8 hours prior to the scheduled flight’s departure for all flights outside the United States.
- As per cancellation policy, passengers are allowed to reverse the flights as well as apply for a full refund. This is possible in case of genuine reasons such as when they cannot travel due to sickness or an accident of a family member. The ticket cancellation charge may apply.
- Cancellations would be applied to the original flight fare and any extra travel essentials such as luggage booking, seat selection, etc.
- This carrier’s cancellation service covers pregnancy-related reversals posy the 36th week with regard to pregnancy. Also, as directed by the Southwest cancellation policy, its fee may apply.
- In accordance with this policy, tickets may be reserved for children. If one of your children falls ill and then the other passengers in the same booking want to cancel a flight, then it is possible to get a full refund against the child’s certificate on medical grounds. In such an instance as well, the possible cancellation charge will be applicable.
- Certain rules of the service are made for group bookings too. Abiding by one of these, when one of the adults gets sick and then the remaining passengers in the booking need to travel, they can obtain a full refund for that adult who is unable to board the flight. To do so, a valid medical professional’s certificate will be needed. Also, a fee will be observed.
Southwest 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
As per the 24-hour cancellation service, passengers are allowed to undo their reservations within the given time period. This period should be within 24 hours from the time of reservation. Following this, they can claim a full refund, provided that the departure date must be 7 or more days at the time of canceling flights. It needs to be noted that no cancellation fee would be assessed within twenty-four hours of purchase.
Here are the other terms and conditions you need to know about the Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy:
- This policy will be applicable on the booking made on www.southwest.com or on the mobile app of this carrier.
- The flexibility may not be applicable on the complimentary tickets.
- Southwest Airlines booking must be made at least 7 days in advance prior to the departure.
- 24-hour reversals can be done via the Southwest Airlines reservation phone number.
- Flight bookings qualifying for this service will be non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Such a service may not be availed of for certain fares like Wanna Get Away.
- It is made clear by the Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy that if a request is made after the booking, then the relevant fees may apply.
It is vital to know that this policy facilitates quick cancellations. Following this, you may place your request to get the booking amount back in the form of a refund. While tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours, it is not certain that even the refunded amount will be initiated during the same time-period. It is only when you have exercised the Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy and received a confirmation that you can place your request. Afterward, the amount will be credited.
Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy for COVID-19
During the pandemic, several airlines have made cancellation policies for the convenience of the passengers. Southwest is one among them. It enables them to cancel the flights free of cost when COVID-19 is the reason leading to this. It is understood via the Southwest flight cancellation policy that this benefit is available on most types of tickets.
The policy additionally facilitates flight changes. To understand further about the Southwest flight change policy in regard to this, you may contact the carrier.
How to Cancel Southwest Flights?
As a traveler of Southwest, you get the flexibility to reverse your flights as per the method you prefer. The airline understands the preferences of its customers and accordingly devises the best methods. Facilitating the use of the Southwest Airlines cancel flight option, you can use the website or the application officially belonging to the carrier. Apart from this, you can pay a visit to the airport or dial the phone number of the carrier. Depending on the method you select, you will be able to revoke your flights in varying time periods.
Method 1: Cancel Southwest Flight Online via Site
When you wish to cancel Southwest flight online, you have 2 main ways to do so. Firstly, you can use the website of this airline. Other than this, you can get the mobile application of this carrier. iOS, as well as Android, is the supported smartphone software with reference to this app. Irrespective of the way you pick, you will be using the tab called Lookup Reservation to start the cancellation process.
- Go to “www.southwest.com”. Or, you may open the Southwest mobile app.
- Then select the “Lookup Reservation” tab in the menu.
- Enter the confirmation number and the passenger’s name in the given fields to retrieve the flight booking. In accordance with the Southwest cancellation policy, entering this information correctly is required.
- You will see the refundable balance attached to the flight confirmation number that you have just entered.
- When you have a refundable balance, you can choose to receive the ticket cancellation refund to the original form of payment. Otherwise, you may convert the travel balance into future travel funds.
- Click on the option of “Cancel Flight” to reverse the booking for all the passengers.
- Ensure whether a cancellation fee is charged. Accordingly, you can pay for it.
Now, you need to wait for receiving confirmation with regard to Southwest Airlines flight cancellations. Once this is obtained, you can start placing a request to get a refund.
Method 2: Using Phone for Southwest Airlines Cancel Flight
Depending on the needs of some travelers, calling may seem a significant option in certain instances. With regard to Southwest Airlines flight cancellations as well, this approach remains reliable. Using this, you can contact the representatives of the carrier. As you convey your concern to one of them, you can avail of personalised guidance from that representative.
This representative can be connected with on call at any moment. You need to dial the correct Southwest cancel flight phone number that is +1-877-311-7484. Prior to doing so, please ensure that you keep some important information ready as it will be required on call. This information is inclusive of:
- Your or the passenger’s detail
- Dates relating to your booking
- The details of your tickets
- Knowledge of the mode of booking
This method is reliable but time-taking. Therefore, you are requested to wait for the airline’s agent to get connected. After the establishment of the connection, please provide your six-digit confirmation number. Going further, you can ask the agent to cancel your reservation.
The agent will start by checking whether or not there is any refundable balance attached to your flight booking. Next to this, you will be asked to pay a cancellation fee to cancel your booking. Now, you just need to wait for the process to get over.
It is directed by the Southwest cancellation policy that once this process is complete, you must ensure that you receive a confirmation. This will indicate whether or not the procedure has taken place with success.
Method 3: Visiting Airport for Southwest Cancel Flight Option
For those fliers who prefer offline flight reversals, visiting the airport is helpful. A method like this one is highly suggested for fliers who are close by to the airport or require help on an urgent basis. Looking at the terms of the Southwest Airlines cancellation policy, you can use this method any time. In addition, you will require certain information or documents to go ahead with the main process.
To cancel your flight, the information needed can comprise the following:
- Particulars of the travelers
- Information associated with flight reservation
- Identity proofs of passengers
Aside from these, some documents can also be asked for by the carrier. Based on the reason for flight reversal, the documents will have to be submitted. Especially when the reason is based on medical grounds, submitting the supporting proofs will be essential to use the Southwest Airlines cancel flight option. The same requirement will have to be settled when you wish to cancel your trip after the Southwest Airlines check-in process has been completed.
Note: While you do so, please keep in mind that several travelers may be present at the airport for resolving similar concerns. It is likely that your request may be taken later. This can affect the possibility of getting a refund or paying a low cancellation fee. Therefore, it will be best to go for the Southwest cancel flight service by reaching the airport at least 2 hours or 120 minutes earlier.
Certain travelers may have booked return flight tickets as well. The functioning of the policy is such that these tickets can also be canceled. Using the methods given above, you can use the Southwest cancel return flight option.
Southwest Cancellation Fee
Air operators like this one apply a charge when a booking is reversed. Since reversals can lead to certain inconvenience to the airline, charging it can, therefore, be important. However, the amount of the fee may not be fixed. The Southwest cancellation fee may vary depending upon the booking class, the fare selected, and the time at which the request has been made.
The nature of the tickets will be equally important when you wish to know about the fee charged. Using the website of the airline, when you revoke a non-refundable class ticket, the charges are likely to be observed.
Depending on the type of the fare, the Southwest cancellation policy charges between $125 to $200. The exact amount can be verified as per the situation under which the cancellation is seen. When you cancel it due to a personal or non-negligible reason, you may have to pay a low fee. However, the amount can differ when the airline cancels your ticket due to no-show.
A clear understanding of the Southwest cancellation fee is presented through this table:
|Southwest Fares||Southwest Wanna Get Away||Southwest Anytime||Southwest Business Select|
|Cancellation Fees||200 USD per passenger per flight segment||150 USD/passenger for each flight segment||125 USD for every passenger/ flight segment|
|No-show Cancellation Charge||Not allowed||150 USD + 75 USD per passenger per flight segment||125 USD + 75 USD/ passenger per flight segment|
Southwest Free Cancellations
It is possible to seek free revocations with this carrier. This is done when you abide by certain conditions. In accordance with one of these, you need to cancel your ticket within a period of 24 hours. In this duration, a cancellation charge will not be asked for. Additionally, you can purchase a refundable ticket. It will ensure that even when you reverse it, the benefit of Southwest free cancellations is available.
Southwest Refund Policy
This air operator has made a Southwest Airlines refund policy which is applicable on refundable as well as non-refundable tickets. As the tickets and their fares are different, the policy also works in a different way for each of them. In addition, it is essential to note that a passenger can get a refund only when the cancellation procedure is complete and has been confirmed on the part of Southwest.
Rules of Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
When you decide to make a request to get your flight cancellation refund, you will be required to abide by certain rules. They will be followed as per the ticket’s nature, that is, refundable or non-refundable.
In accordance with the Southwest refund policy, the rules given below need to be determined by a flier prior to placing the request.
For Refundable Fares:
- The tickets booked under these are considered refundable:
- Business Select tickets
- Anytime tickets
- You need to ensure that the cancellation of the reservation takes place at least 10 minutes prior to the departure scheduled.
- Following this, you can obtain the refund amount. It will be provided via the same mode using which the purchase of the ticket has taken place.
- Aside from money, you can avail of “Travel Funds” as the refund option, with reference to the Southwest Airlines refund policy.
Regarding Non-refundable Tickets:
- You can most likely reverse non-refundable tickets within 24 hours to seek a refund.
- The benefit is achieved when cancellation takes place via:
- Airline’s official website
- On call with Southwest
- Via Carrier’s smartphone app
- Within twenty-four hours, every ticket fare’s amount can be refunded.
- This amount is available either as a “Travel Fund” or a payment.
- The terms of the no-show policy also need to be followed when you want a refund on any non-refundable ticket.
As per the Southwest Airlines cancellation policy for non-refundable tickets which are purchased either as a LUV voucher or gift, reversal and refunds can happen by calling the airline.
Note: In the instances of no-show, the refunded amount can get forfeited. This can particularly happen when the ticket is of the Wanna Get Away class.
Terms for Southwest Wanna Get Away Refund
Wanna Get Away is a fare class of this airline. It has been made to let you earn additional points as a regular traveler. On understanding that this ticket needs to be cancelled, you may look for a refund amount. As you do so, make certain that these terms for refund, under the Southwest flight cancellation policy, are comprehended and met by you:
- Given that you have purchased a reusable Wanna Get Away ticket, you can claim a refund on its revocation.
- A refund is possibly certain when this ticket is cancelled during 24 hours after the purchase.
In case you do not show up for boarding the flight and hold this ticket, the Southwest Wanna Get Away refund may not be provided.
Placing a Refund Request on Southwest
As a part of the Southwest cancellation policy, a request for refund can be placed offline. It will be best to contact the airline by calling its number. As you get connected to the representative, you will have to supply the confirmation of your ticket’s cancellation.
Going further, the representative is likely to ask you additional details. By providing these, you will be closer to placing your request and obtaining the refund. Going by the Southwest refund policy, the following options will be available to get back this amount:
- Points in your account for “Rapid Rewards”
- Travel fund
- Credit card
- Gift card by the carrier
- LUV voucher
Nearly 7 to 10 working days will be needed to get the amount credited. This is applicable for users who have made purchases via a card. When the tickets have been bought using cash, a period of 20 days may be needed.
Southwest Cancelled Flight Policy
The cancelled reservations policy works for delayed, completely cancelled, missed, or overbooked flights. Since these situations can vary, the aid provided during these can also differ. As you read further, you can understand the measures taken or help provided by the carrier:
For Delayed Flights: When your Southwest flight is delayed, the airline will inform you about the reasons behind the same. The reasons associated with delays and the information of the new departure time will be shared with you via SMS/text/email/call. Accordingly, it is recommended to the passenger to update the flight information via the Manage Booking section.
The Southwest cancellation policy guides that in case of a longer delay, the airline will offer refreshments or a meal voucher. In addition to this, it may also try to arrange an alternate flight on an urgent basis when possible.
On Missing a Connecting Flight: You need to board your connecting flights on time to reach your final destination. In case this does not happen, the airline may mark you as unavailable. The chances are that you may lose your flight reservation in that case.
In such instances too, the Southwest Airlines cancel flight reservation policy can work. According to this, if all your flight segments including the flight connection were on the same booking, then the minimum connecting time would be estimated. So, the passengers will have enough time to switch from one flight to another in order to reach the final destination without any hassles.
Knowing that the passengers missed their connecting flights, the airline will rebook them to their destination. Rebooking the flights may take some time as the availability of alternate flights may be limited. Also, passengers will be asked to rebook their flight up to 3 days from the original departure schedule in the same class as originally booked.
When Southwest Cancelled Flights: Sometimes the airline has to, unfortunately, cancel its flights. If the passenger’s flight is canceled, then the airline will contact him/her to inform about the said cancellations. For this, it is vital that the carrier has your correct information.
As Southwest flight cancellations are confirmed, the following occurrences can be possible:
- The fliers may be allowed to change the travel date when alternative options are available.
- Passengers would be re-routed to their final destinations or a stopover as soon as possible. This is subject to availability. After the flight is re-booked, they can see the updated flight itinerary via “Manage Booking” or through the Southwest mobile app.
- Given that the new flight option is not suitable for the passengers, they can apply for the Southwest flight cancellation refund on the unused part of the journey. Apart from this, you may seek compensation for the inconvenience faced.
In Case of Overbooked Flights: In a few instances, Southwest Airlines may accept more passengers than the aircraft’s capacity. When this happens, it will be unlikely for the airline to fly. Then it will have to use the Southwest cancellation policy or service to settle the issue.
Under such a circumstance, the carrier can make use of the following measures:
- It will look for volunteers to transfer them to another flight.
- When there are not enough volunteers, Southwest will find an alternative flight on the earliest basis. This will be subject to the same class of service as the one that was originally booked.
Assuming that the passengers do not like the alternate flight option, then they are entitled to Southwest free cancellation. Cancellations for free are applicable on the unused portion of the ticket. Following this, they can go for claiming a refund.
Southwest Airlines Cancelled Flight Compensation Terms
It is to be understood that in some instances, the airline may have to cancel reservations when the situation is far from its control. Also, due to concerns revolving around the safety and health of the passengers, crew, and the aircraft, taking such a step can be essential. For the trouble caused to the travelers, Southwest Airlines cancelled flight compensation can be provided, subject to some terms.
- The compensation can be obtained in case of flight delays too. For this, the condition is that the delayed time period should be greater than 3 or additional hours.
- Passengers who do not hold a confirmed reservation and are traveling on a fare that isn’t available may not get the compensation.
- If the flier is informed of a cancellation or delay at least 15 days before the scheduled flight’s departure, then the airline will not be liable to pay or compensate.
- When the carrier cancels flights due to a situation completely outside its control, paying the Southwest Airlines cancelled flight compensation will not be essential.
- The compensated amount or benefit can only be availed of once.
- In case a passenger failed to submit the details or information required for the compensation within a specified time period, the carrier may not be responsible.
Southwest Airlines Cancel Flight Compensation Offered
A compensation is provided either when Southwest completely cancels your flight or it is delayed for an exceptionally long time. When a delay occurs, its duration is looked at. Accordingly, the airline estimates the amount of compensation that is to be offered.
The compensation amount for Southwest Airlines flight cancellations usually begins from $200 onward. The amount and associated conditions have been explained in detail below:
- 200 USD is given when your flights get delayed between 3 to 6 hours.
- For more than 6 hours but less than 9 hours, the delays are compensated in the form of 350 USD.
- In the case of flight delays that are of 9 hours or more, 500 USD is provided.
Due to situations such as overbooking, you may be denied boarding on the same flight that was booked by you. Then also you will be eligible for a compensated amount. Under the Southwest cancellation policy, the amount or benefit given can be as follows:
- An amount equal to 200% of the booked fare of the unused portion of the ticket is offered. It is subject to a maximum of 150 USD if the passenger is rebooked on an alternate flight with Southwest or any other carrier. This flight needs to be scheduled to fly within 24 hours of the booked scheduled departure.
- You can receive an amount equaling 400% of the booked fare of the unused part of your flight ticket. In this instance 250 USD is the maximum amount given, indicates the Southwest Airlines cancellation policy. Given that the flier is rebooked on an alternate flight with Southwest/another carrier that is scheduled to fly outside 24 hours of departure, this flexibility is available.
Going through the terms, benefits, and functioning of the Southwest Airlines flight cancellation policy, it cannot be denied that it has been thoughtfully made. In a number of situations, the service ensures that a traveler is not left stranded. By outlining the terms as per these situations, it has made flying more convenient.
Southwest Flight Cancellation Policy – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, passengers can cancel flights up to 10 minutes prior to their departure as scheduled by the airline. Southwest Airlines flight cancellations would be applied to the unused portion of the ticket. Also, when you decide to do so, please ensure that any supporting papers required to cancel are provided by you.
canceled up to 60 minutes prior to the departure time set for domestic flights. Southwest flight cancellations for international journeys can be revoked 120 minutes before departure.
Under the Southwest refund policy, passengers can cancel a flight and obtain a refund. Its amount will depend on what type of ticket you have. In addition to this, the time of cancellation will also be taken into consideration.
A traveler can cancel Southwest flight online. To do so, the airline’s website is available. Along with this, you can get the application of the carrier on your phone. When you access your account and locate your flight, you will be able to go ahead with its reversal.
Yes, online cancellations are possible. Basically, you can go to www.southwest.com or open its mobile app. Then you have to opt for the “Lookup Reservation” tab in the menu. Enter the confirmation number and your name in the fields to retrieve the flight booking. Then you can access the Southwest cancel flight option.
For flight revocation, passengers need to do the related process within 24 hours of the purchase. This will help you get a refund too. In order to obtain a refund otherwise, please ensure that the process is done at least 7 days in advance, as is guided in the Southwest cancellation policy.
Passengers can rebook their canceled flights via www.southwest.com. To be specific, they will have to navigate to the “Manage Booking” section. After this, they will have to follow the on-screen instructions to initiate cancellation requests. Later on, please see to it that you receive the Southwest cancelled flights confirmation.
Sometimes this carrier has to, unfortunately, cancel the flights. If the passenger’s flight is canceled, then the airline will allow him or her to rebook that flight for free. In situations wherein Southwest Airlines cancel flights, one can claim a full refund as well on the unused part of the ticket
Yes, as per the Southwest flight cancellation policy, fliers are allowed to cancel their reservations within 24 hours of making a booking. Then they can go further and claim a full refund. This is subject to the condition that the departure date must be 7 or more days at the time of canceling a flight. Also, no fee would be assessed within 24 hours of purchase for the action.
This operator provides both refundable and non-refundable flights. When you are using the Southwest 24 hour cancellation policy, however, every ticket is considered refundable. Here, an important condition is that prior to revoking it, a gap of 7 days between cancellation and departure should exist.
Once a passenger requests the Southwest ticket cancellation with this company, the refund team will process an eligible refund. It will be processed to the original debit/credit card within 7/seven business days. Please note that sometimes the bank may take up to 10 business days to post the credit in the passenger’s account.
Yes, when a customer cancels a reservation booked with Rapid Rewards points, the left-over point balance should get refunded. It will be added to that account via which the booking was made. Any taxes and Southwest cancellation fees may not be asked for.
When any passenger makes a travel booking in the future, there is a section on the checkout page. It says ‘’Do You Want to Apply for Travel Funds?’’. On viewing it, please click on “Apply Travel Funds”. Then enter the passenger name along with the confirmation number from the previously canceled flight, as per the Southwest Airlines cancellation policy.
You can follow a simple procedure to use the credit for a canceled booking. Go to your email account and in your search box, type ‘’Southwest Airlines’’. All of your flight confirmations will come up and it should be easy to find the travel credit for the flights. When you plan your next travel booking with the carrier, please use the section ‘’Do You Want to Apply for Travel Funds?’’. From here, you can apply for the credits as well as use them.
Submit your review
I am not at all happy with Southwest as this airline did not pay my refund when I canceled my trip. On discussing further with the staff about the Southwest refund policy, he stated that my tickets were non-refundable. They also didn't allow me to make another booking. Being a regular flyer of Southwest, I appreciate this airline as it provides me the most reliable experience every time. But, this time I am sad as it didn't provide me with a refund.
When I was about to travel earlier this week, I was planning to visit my doctor and hence decided to cancel my flight. I had my trip planned by Southwest. And I had no idea how to cancel it. But after reading Southwest Airlines cancellation policy, I got to know that the air staff can help you with it. So I called them on the given number and they guided me through the whole process of canceling my trip. I must say the staff was really supportive!