Sounds Air is a regional and small airline based in New Zealand. Founded in 1986 by Diane and Cliff Merchant, they started this airline to provide people with affordable flight options to the Marlborough Sounds. Initially, they only had one Cessna Caravan operating a single route which is across the Cook Straight. But, they have gradually grown in the past 30 years, and in 2015, they carried around 78,000 passengers while the number was 14,000 in 2013. Today, Sounds Air NZ offers scheduled flights to its passengers along with shuttle and charter services.
Destinations Covered by Sounds Air
As of June 2020, Sounds Air has flights Nelson to Wellington, Picton, Westport, Christchurch, Blenheim, Taupo, and Paraparaumu. Currently, Sounds Air booking is only available for domestic destinations. Besides, this airline operates charter flights for groups as well. During the Corona outbreak, they have provided chartering flights for medical patients and essential workers to control the condition and help the government.
Baggage Options Offered by Sounds Air
While travelling in Sounds Air or any other airline, it is more than important to have baggage and related details to know how many bags you can carry. So, look at the following options provided by the airline to its passengers:
- Carry-On Baggage: You can carry one small personal item on board with you which can be your handbag or laptop. Apart from this, you are allowed to carry 20 kg with you inducing carry-on baggage.
- Checked-In Baggage: All checked luggage should be checked-in at least 30 minutes before the departure. The limit of 20 kg applies to carry-on as well as on check-in luggage. If you want to avail of the benefits of Sounds Air baggage allowance for excess baggage beyond the limit, you must understand that it will be subject to availability of the space on the day of your travel. However, you will need to pay some additional amount for the same.
Class Options Available in Sounds Air Flights
Before we shed some on the options available, we would like to tell you that you will receive the same quality of services irrespective of the fare chosen. Now, look at the following options that you will get with this airline:
Reservationsnumber.org offers standard fare, akin to what you should expect from a normal economy class fare. However, they do not recognize that different flyers have different requirements. So, they have three different fare grades. And they are:
- Sounds Best: It is the most flexible fare with dynamic schedules for passengers. They can cancel or change their flight without paying a single penny even 1 hour before the scheduled departure.
- Sounds Great: It is a classic option with middle range fare. With this option, you will also get the change or cancellation option before a day of scheduled departure. However, you will need to pay a certain amount for that.
- Sounds Good: It is the most affordable option for passengers with solid travel plans. Like the other two options, you can also change or cancel your flight at least 24 hours or 1 day before the scheduled departure. But again, you will need to pay some amount for that.
Check-In Information of Sounds Air
It is yet another crucial aspect you must check before booking Sounds Air flights. So, just look at the following to know more:
- Online Check-In: This airline does not provide its passengers with an online check-in service yet. But, we can hope that they will soon do it.
- Airport Check-In: The airline only has an airport check-in facility at the moment. The counters for this service close 30 minutes before the scheduled departure. Hence, it is advisable to leave adequate time for check-in to avoid any issues or delays. We are saying this because the airline reserves all the rights to deny boarding if you are late for check-in.
Hub Airport for Sounds Air
Wellington International Airport is the hub airport for this airline. It is an international airport situated in the suburb of Rongotai, Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city. Wellington is the 3rd busiest airport in the country. In addition to Sounds Air, airlines that fly to this international airport include Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, and Qantas.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some frequently asked questions about Sounds Air have been answered here:
For Sounds Best, this service is available free of cost but you have to do it at least one hour before the scheduled departure. However, for Sounds Great and Sounds Good, you will need to pay a certain amount as reschedule fees which is $25 and $40 per passenger respectively along with fare difference, if needed. However, you must do it at least 24 hours or 1 day before the scheduled departure of the flight.
With this policy, you may transfer without paying any amount to a later or earlier flight within the same route. However, the benefits of this facility are subject to seat availability which you can check with the airline by calling them on their customer contact number. But, this facility is only available for Sounds Best and Sounds Great options. You are not allowed for standby if you have a ticket for Sounds Good.
Ticket of any of the Sounds Air flight includes 20 kg baggage, inclusive of carry-on baggage. To carry additional baggage, you will need to pay $3 per kg to the airline.
Flight bookings or reservations should be cancelled or charged at least an hour before the scheduled departure of the flight. In case you fail to do so and do not board the flight, you will be considered a ‘No Show’. In this situation, all your remaining funds will be forfeited by the airline.
They have the following at the moment:
5 x Pilatus PC with 12 seats maximum
5 x Cessna 208 Caravan with 12 seats maximum